Friday, November 30, 2012

Spam, spam, spam, spam...

I got phone spammed again recently over PPI insurance clawback, apparently if I have been mis-sold PPI insurance I can claim thousands back.Though as I've never been mis-sold the stuff I probably can't. I'm not sure where they got my number from, though I've given up replying STOP to the texts I now do something slightly different as I rather think it tells them that it's an active number. Still apparently there's going to be a crackdown on the pests as a lot of people are complaining.
Express.
ROGUE firms who plague the public with spam texts face prosecution and fines in a crackdown on the illegal use of data, regulators have warned. Many of the texts sent out every day tell the recipient they are entitled to compensation from accidents or personal injury claims or from the mis-selling of Payment Protection Insurance.
But yesterday the Information Commissioner's Office fined two men £440,000 for a scam which generated massive profits from sending out 840,000 spam texts a day.
This is the first time that the ICO has used its power to issue a fine for a serious breach of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations since powers were approved earlier this year.
It is also considering issuing penalties to three other companies.
Christopher Graham, information commissioner, said: "The public have told us that they are distressed and annoyed by the constant bombardment of illegal texts and calls and we are currently cracking down on the companies responsible, using the full force of the law.
Yes they are pests and I think the regulator is right to come down hard on them. Personally I tend to take their phone number and paste it all over a few online survey sites I know of along with any email addresses of theirs such as contact@myppiguide.com telephone number 07881207486 and return the complement. After all, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me, even if they are a genuine company, I simply do not want their custom and I do not wish to be bothered by them. If I want something I'll contact them, is that so hard?

4 annotations:

Anonymous said...

I get around 3 a week.
If I am not busy I ask what underwear they are wearing or are they my son ..........

Anonymous said...

"Personally I tend to take their phone number and paste it all over a few online survey sites I know of along with any email addresses" - Brilliant idea, I'm going to try that.

Dioclese said...

I'm ex-directory and signed up to the telephone preference service and the bastards STILL get through to me!

banned said...

On a 'live' silent cold call (which is apparantly intended to find out when you are likely ro be in and so recieve a call from a real person)someone suggested pressing the ###### key several times, seems this confuses their computer.